Kyra loved the scenic train ride from Thendara station, just a mile west of Old Forge. There is a preservation movement here in the Adirondack Mts. to restore service to stations formally serviced by the New York trains. The thought is that this would be much more ecologically friendly, and that it would encourage commerce between the areas. Also, it's just beautiful to see the park by train... We had a tour guide, and the comment I found most humorous went something like, "and we have had a much easier time expanding the moose population in the Adironacks since the introduction of females..." In any case, I learned much about the logging industry and saw some beautiful foliage.
Join us on our tour of eight National Parks, four Canadian Parks and our trek to Alaska and back again
Thursday, July 9, 2009
Kyra loved the scenic train ride from Thendara station, just a mile west of Old Forge. There is a preservation movement here in the Adirondack Mts. to restore service to stations formally serviced by the New York trains. The thought is that this would be much more ecologically friendly, and that it would encourage commerce between the areas. Also, it's just beautiful to see the park by train... We had a tour guide, and the comment I found most humorous went something like, "and we have had a much easier time expanding the moose population in the Adironacks since the introduction of females..." In any case, I learned much about the logging industry and saw some beautiful foliage.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
It's like Kyra's dreams come true...riding the trains! Did she name it Gordon or Percy?!! Do you still have to draw them as often now that she has ridden one?
ReplyDeleteMiss you guys, looks like you are having fun!
Ali
Kyra loved it! She went through the whole lot of them - Thomas, James, Percy, Gordon, Molly... and even was on the lookout for Sir Topham Hatt. We miss you guys as well - maybe one day we can all get up here together. The mountains are fantastic, and I know Tyler would love the lake! Although, I have a feeling that he is going to be a beach bum come August...
ReplyDeleteMiss you too!
Bekci